Monday, July 16, 2012

Full weekend

Living only a few miles away from the Giant Forest defiantly holds its benefits. It makes for a pretty relaxing day when I am able to hop onto a 15 minute shuttle ride and explore the stunning giants. With camera in hand and snacks on my back I was ready to just get away from the chaos. While not recommended, I often don't stick to the paths. Far to many people on the paths. Off trailing I am able to see the Sequoia's in their full glory. Get up close and personal. Ironically the General Sherman is my lest favorite place to be in the park. Endless hoards of people make the tree almost claustrophobic.

Speaking of claustrophobic, the Crystal Caves were incredible. While it is a focal point for many tourists, it was still worth the trip. Being my first time on a cave tour I was pretty excited. Crystal Cave is about three miles long and located at 4,600 feet. It was first discovered by a couple of fisherman, but now receives thousands of visitors each year. The tours last about 45 minutes with each group containing no more than 50 people. While the structures inside are incredible, unfortunately I discovered that caves are one of the most difficult places to capture. But I did my best.
After exploring the caves Sunday afternoon I chose to venture into the Giant Forest the next day. It was nice to be alone among the massive Sequoia's, but it didn't stay that way the entire day. I met my first marmot living under a Sequoia. It was a cute little guy. He let me get really close too. After about a 20 minute photo shoot that consisted of the marmot backing in and out of his little hole I made my way back to the main area of the Giant Forest.
The Marmot
Just yards away from the bus stop a mother bear and her two cubs were making their way through the crowded area. As the bear was sited, almost everyone on the bus scrambled off and quickly dug out their cameras. It was a big event. It was as if the bears were celebrates. Some thirty people where all following the bears snapping as many photos as their camera would allow and it didn't cease until the mother and two cubs made their way out of the main area.
Mama Bear next to a Sequoia
All in all, it was a good day filled with many excitements. I'm fully charged and ready for another week. It seems this summer is flying by. Only six more weeks to go and I'll be hanging with Tori and Karen. It still amazes me daily that the Lord has brought me to such a beautiful and stunning place. It isn't all fun, games, and bear sightings here though. God is always pushing me further out of my comfort zone and the challenges seem to always arise. Keep praying for me. :)      
        

No comments:

Post a Comment